Sunday, August 23, 2009

Fearless Voice.

Hi.

Here is a story. A few years ago I gave myself the goal of wanting to book a Broadway show. The problem was that my whole life I have been known as the tone deaf one. The only place you would catch me singing was in my car and in the shower. I love musical theatre and it has always been a dream of mine to sing something by Jason Robert Brown, or play Mimi in Rent. When I was in high school I sang a little bit but I was shy and fearful of what everyone would say.

Two years ago I started talking voice lessons from an amazing woman in NYC. I cried through the first 5 lessons where I was told I was doing almost everything wrong and would sing at the top of my lungs to her recorded piano tracks each night walking through the streets of NYC. I was so scared of singing in front of people that I figured that the strangers on the streets of my favorite city were the best people to help me beat this fear. I saw another singing great who helped me get my songbook together and I began attending all the big Broadway auditions. My agent asked me to come in and sing for him, and I almost cried I was so afraid. It was the worst audition of my life. He actually said to me, what about TV? You have such a great personality! (I think that was his way of saying, eeeek your voice sucks!)

I kept on working, and here I am. My voice is still pretty bad, I am learning, working on it. Today I am overcoming a huge fear and letting you all hear me. I just learned how to play this on the UKE. One night Me, Sprout and ShuSHU had sing along night. It was alot of fun. I am sad that things didn't work out the way either of us hoped between sprout and I, but real life means alot of work, and focus on our careers and alot less focus on dates. Maybe someday, or maybe we will just always be friends. Like my Daddy says... You can have it all, but you can't have it all at the same time. So true. Love will have to wait because right now, career needs all my attention. Life feels a little bit empty, maybe it always will, but I think it is really good for me.

Somewhere over the rainbow...the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true....




Thanks to the amazing Chelsie Hightower for the rad sweats from her line for Sugar and Bruno. Super comfy and perfect for hanging out...She makes them LONG for us TALL girls! woo hoo!