Monday, May 31, 2010

this is me in grade 9 baby.




here is the truth...

I am happy to report that at my high school reunion not one person remembered that I lost my final adult tooth just shy of the start of grade 12 and I spent most of my senior year with a wire connecting the giant HOLE in my smile with my bottom tooth in hopes that with a little extra nudge that it would come in before graduation photos. whew.

Evenutally, you forget it all. first you forget everything you learned- the dates of wars and pythagorean theorem. you especially forget everything you didn’t really learn, but just memorized the night before, you forget the names of all but one or two of your teachers, and eventually you forget those too.
That the guy that dumped you will finally, ten years later tell you that all these years he has been thinking of you and has regretted it. He will be way less cute. whew. The guy who you never stood a shot with went bald and isn’t even half as cute as he was sitting in the lunch room with that red tshirt on. Wear sunscreen, stay cute girls.

You forget your class schedule and where you used to sit and your best friends phone number and lyrics to the song you played a million times, and eventually, but slowly, you forget your humiliations. they just fade away. It seems that no one remembers the time that in front of my entire grade 12 english class in a pair of white pants I got my period for all to see. Sadly though, no one remembered my awesome rendition of Santa Baby at the holiday showcase. damn.

I can honestly say that I remember almost nothing I learned in school (I was an honor student, and now have trouble spelling and forming sentences...sad) , I remember CRYING over my scientific calculus and studying for hours to ace the biology finals. you forget who was cool and who was not, who was pretty, smart, athletic, and not. ones you said you loved, and the ones you actually did, they’re the last to go, and once you’ve forgotten enough, you love someone else. People will get older and they will get married to people they meet at college, at work and travelling. Not one person from my class actually ended up with their high school sweetheart...pressure is off! Almost everyone at my reunion is married and has one, or two kids, some of my best friends from school are super preggers right now. Giant parts of me feel like I am still the same outcast, social extrovert, work-a-holic introvert from school, maybe some things never change. There are huge pieces of me that feel like I am behind the times, no husband, no babies, no house...but then again, my plans never really included any of those things...

I spent the better part of my reunion telling the same story, the answer to what do you do now?

well I live in LA, I have a dog, a little place to live, and I do some dancing, some making up of dancing, I work with celebs sometimes, I have a clothing line, a radio show, a blog, a dvd, I teach, I judge, oh...and I just signed a 40 episode deal for a tv show that will actually air in canada...

to which most people answered, so you pretty much did exactly what you said you were going to do then?

yea pretty much.


we all dream different dreams, and that is what makes life so exciting, so hold true to what you really want to do with your life and focus on that. Fall in love and make babies, or travel the world in sport. But more than anything, be nice to everyone you meet, throughout all of your life, because one day, you might be in a room with 200 people who represent your growing up years and just think of how those people will remember you. I was happy as a clam to hug every single person in that room. I have never, and will never believe in groups, cliques or hating on people just because they are different. I didn’t in school and ten years later I still don’t. There is beauty in all of our dreams, all our differences and in all of us!

bev facey forever!