Wednesday, May 19, 2010

on how I feel about you...

" so where does that leave us? Why do I need this man at all? I need him only because I happen to adore him, because his company brings me gladness and comfort, and because, as a friend's grandfather once out it "Sometimes life is too hard to be alone, and sometimes life is too good to be alone."...By unnerving definition, anything that the heart has chosen for its own mysterious reasons it can always unchoose later-again, for its own mysterious reasons. And a shared private heaven can quickly descend into a failed private hell. "

-Committed, Elizabeth Gilbert

This makes sense.
We look for someone to love us.
and our definition is vast:

love
hold
inspire
kiss
prioritize
gift
fawn over
make believe with
laugh with
skip with
admire
be attached to
be captivated by
be crazy about
be enamored of
be enchanted by
be fascinated with
care for
cherish
choose
dote on
glorify
idolize
put on pedestal
think the world of
thrive with
treasure
worship

Maybe it is just me, but it seems like Elizabeth is right. We are asking for so much from just one person. One imperfect person, just like us. There is not one person on this planet that is perfect. I am not. You are not. He is not. She is not. It is simply asking too much for someone to be your everything. I think the secret is to be your own everything, and to invite someone you adore- along for the wild ride. Then, if they leave, you still have everything and are only missing a few small feelings of adoration, which can be replaced, for the most part, pretty easily.