Saturday, January 30, 2010

I don't get mad, I get disapointed.

there is this great quote (iwtfy?) about not letting people treat you badly, and that they need your permission for that. I love that. It is so true.

I live in a magical world where I like to highlight and gold star all the good stuff and skim over the bad stuff when it comes to human interaction. I see only the good in people, and I can play along with stupid excuses all night long. This is a very bad habit because I tend to romanticize everything and everyone. I never see people for who they are. I see them instead for who I want them to be to me. The stupid thing is that, people will show you who they are, their intentions and what kind of importance they place on you. My head is just usually too far in the clouds to see it.

I saw a therapist once who made me write down a list of acceptable ways for people to treat me. Some of the things on my list were:

be nice to me
do what you say you are going to do
be honest

I always go back to this list because I remember being told that my list was pathetic and that these were BASIC human respects and that I should never have to aim so low.

These things are like breathing, and every human should be doing them.

But not everyone does. why?