Friday, April 2, 2010

What you want I just can't give to you.



Photo credit: Dirty Sugar Photography
There has been no shortage of people caught inside their huge lies in the media the last few months, from superstars to athletes to politicians, it seems everyone is hiding something. This is the story of honest.

I will be one of the first people to expect honesty out of you. This does not mean that I am without flaw in the subject. I have spoken lies from large to even the little white variety. As I get older and more settled in what I want and expect from the universe, the more importance I place on honesty. Being lied to is one of the worst things I have ever experienced. It makes you feel like a fool. It makes you question your own inner workings of your brain. It makes you wonder if those pants really do make you look heavy.

I have learned that every time I have ever lied the consequences of those lies have outweighed the gain I would receive. People lie because it is easier then telling the truth, and most of the time it gets them what they want. It also builds a tangled web into an already confusing life.

For me, lies sit on top of my skin like a rash. The itch and burn and seep into my bloodstream. In the past few years I have cut out lies from my diet. I live a life of truths. Sometimes these are really hard to swallow. Telling people things you KNOW they do not want to hear is never easy, but think of how great it is to walk away knowing you were honest and not having to carry any guilt around. Think of how less confused the opposite party is. They do not have to lose sleep over your "mixed message + self absorbed million ways to interpret this story" lies. They can move on and find what will truly make them happy. That means not only are you happy, but you have given the delicious gift of happiness to someone else. I call that karma.

Being honest is not always the easy way out. It is human nature to want it all for ourselves. It is human nature to tell people what they want to hear. But if you have any respect for yourself. your integrity. your karma- you will speak the truth, yell the truth from the top of your lungs and sing the truth in your morning shower.

Don't tell lies to others.
Don't tell lies to yourself.

They are who they are.
You are who you are.

Beautifully flawed, imperfect, confused, passionate, courageous, fighters.

No one expects you to be perfect.
They do however, expect you to be honest.