Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Covered in scars I did nothing to earn.


My homework that night at therapy was to make a list of all the expectations that I have for the way other people treat me. Some of the things I listed were, do what you say you are going to do, be honest, be happy for me when good things happen and of course, to be nice to me. My therapist told me that my expectations were pretty pathetic, and that those are things that ALL humans should be, and that I need to set the bar a little higher. I guess that hit home. I had spend my life never giving myself a single break. The standards which I held myself to were so much higher than I expected from anyone else. That was a good lesson. I think as an entertainer I had gotten so used to being used, talked down too, cut at auditions, treated badly by divas that somehow it had morphed into acceptable behavior in real life. I had a very hard time separating the two lives I had.


-R,R+R by Keltie Colleen